Stock Market Education
www.stockskey.com is about Stock Market Investor Education - A guided tour through several investing options available, susceptible to change every moment, with a changing market scenario, where billions are won and lost everyday, where there is an essential need for investor education, with regard to market changes, technical and fundamental analysis, along with practical experiences, where it is only those with knowledge and information of their command who survive, whereas the others simply perish unknown... Read more..
Diploma Mills - How to Spot Them and Stay Away From Them
| Print |
Education has moved on to new frontiers and with recent advancements in technology it is easy to get access to most academic institutions. But the huge strides in educational developments come with some drawbacks too. Some “institutions” give the false impression that getting a degree or diploma is easy and quick. If you fall for these so called institutions you are certain to damage your professional career. These institutions go by the name of “diploma mills” or “degree mills” and this article is about how to spot them and stay away from their lure.
About Diploma Mills
Diploma mill is the name given to institutions which offer diplomas without the supervision of a state body or professional agency. These diplomas are fraudulent and of no value at all due to their lack of proper standards. They often pose as legitimate universities or colleges, awarding degrees without actually evaluating the work of the students. They give false certificates, transcripts and references to students who “buy” their degrees.
A diploma mill sells degrees ranging from bachelor degrees to post graduate ones and usually the customers of these mills are either individuals who are ignorant of these diploma mills or those who are aware of their fraudulence but want to get the certificates anyway to foster their higher education the fast way.
How to Spot Them
Here are some tips to help you to identify these fraudulent institutions:
- Any institution or college that offers degrees in return for money without any academic work requirement or experience definitely rates high in the diploma mills meter.
- A college or university that promises a postgraduate degree in return for money and a mere couple pages of thesis or a few pages of questions and answers also reeks of fraudulence.
- An institution that offers diploma, degree or certification that claims to be accredited but is actually not accredited to a legitimate state agency like the United States Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Institutions which do not require the usual attendance, exams, or thesis papers that is mandatory for getting a degree.
- Colleges or universities that promise instant degrees that can be acquired just by ordering them online or by replying to advertisements on newspapers or magazines.
- Institutions that offer no selectivity in admission procedures and does not ask for any previous academic details.
- Colleges that offer degrees without any interaction whatsoever with the faculty or professors.
How to Steer Clear Of Them
It is unfortunate that the state is unable to curb these mushrooming diploma mills. States like Louisiana, California, Utah and even Hawaii do not have any binding rules against these fake institutions. The diploma mills prosper in these states under the veil of sophisticated institutions. They operate in different political jurisdictions by offering degrees to other countries or states only. It is quite difficult to prove these institutions as fraudulent. Before choosing any institution make sure that the institution you are looking for is well accredited and is connected to a reputed university. Make sure it has legitimate degrees, qualified faculty and courses to offer. You can also check online for the published guides, correspondence and distance learning courses.
Read more: http://www.keydegree.com/weblog/choosing-a-college/diploma-mills-how-to-spot-them-and-stay-away-from-them